A decision needs to address a need within the partners. The decision should have a rationale and the consequences of the decision outcomes should be known, in order to determine if it is a critical or trivial decision.
For example, a verseworks partner wants to go on sabbatical for 3 months in 6 months time. Justification is how to plan for the time away in the interests of clients and the verseworks partners thus becoming a trivial decision.
How urgent is the decision, is it time critical –
unless we make a decision in the next 24hr we could lose our client. – Justification here is an unhappy client not losing the income.
What happens if we make the wrong decision can we easily reverse – We decided to agree to take on a client consequently the client turned out to be difficult and the Verseworks partners are unable to help at this time – Justification is to make sure we have safe legal off-boarding plan.
The next step is which process makes the most sense and who needs to be involved a simple scale from “fast” to “all partners involvement”.If you are unsure which it is – then test it with others.
*note you must still uphold the values of the partners when making any decision *
- Personal decision. Decide yourself without talking to anyone
- Personal decision with partner input. Ask for input from the partners, but then make the decision yourself.
- Personal decision with partner-anchoring. Ask for input from the partners, suggest a solution, check it is OK with the partners before closing the decision.
- Partnership decision. Facilitate a decision from the whole partnership (seeking consensus, with majority vote as fallback if we can’t reach consensus).
A hybrid version is perfectly OK if it gets you to a decision , as long as you make decisions in the best interests of verseworks.
team can refer to all of the partners or just the people affected examples:
- I want to speak at conference – personal decision.
- I want to speak at conference on a controversial topic – personal decision with partners or partners-anchoring input.
- The client is cutting rates by 30% the partners would need to agree to accepting that decision.
- Taking out a lease on a new office space, the decision would be all of the Verseworks partners.
Some things to consider when choosing a decisions process:
- Who is impacted by the outcome of the decision?
- Could this decision become a policy?
- Decisions should be transparent and logged on a shared resource so everyone has knowledge.
- Decisions may lead to a policy within the group.